March 8, 2017 by stoptheblockhvrhs
This post is for anyone still on the fence about the new schedule or for parents and/or students who may meet with the administration in upcoming days/weeks.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Studies and comparisons of schedules compare block schedules to traditional 8-period fixed schedules. HVRHS does not employ such a schedule, so such comparisons are irrelevant.
- The administration’s plan for eliminating D’s and F’s involves ceasing to grade homework and allowing students to retake tests until they improve their grades.
- No matter what benefits are claimed, they come with a cost. Students will be giving up:
- A rotating schedule, allowing them to take different classes at different times of the day
- Continuity – reinforcing learning by building on it all year long
- Retention – the summer slide is hard enough (math classes spend the first couple weeks reviewing the previous year’s material already – this will only get worse when students experience gaps of many months)
There’s more – read Why We’re Opposed if you haven’t already.